Martial artists in modern society are modern warriors. No we aren’t running to the next state to steal their cows or horses. I mean warriors in the ideal sense — the noble knight or valiant soldier. Many of us are not professional soldiers but we are a part of our local community. We are the guardians of our neighborhoods.
You should rise to the character expectations of all warriors. We are not thugs or bullies. We are pillars of the community who meet danger with action not flight. Here are some ideas that wrote using free association:
- Stand your ground and protect your honor and beliefs.
- Help others especially those who can not help themselves
- Be prepared for disasters with food, supplies, medicine, guns and ammo.
- Know CPR and first aid. Be willing to perform it on others.
- Maintain your beliefs regardless of the situation
- Remember that not everyone has the same beliefs as you. Americans and warriors both protect everyone’s rights to have or not have religion.
- A secular society maintains fairness, self-responsibility, and openness.
- Do not stand for the trampling of rights of smaller groups. One day, you may be in a smaller group.
- Keep yourself responsible for your own actions.
- Take actions that are responsible, noble and just.
- Help others selflessly
This list may be high handed and a bit self-righteous but that is how one must live to be considered a warrior in my book. Don’t agree, let me know in my comments.