GOLD stands for Guidance on Leadership Development. This program includes comprehensive training on leadership skills that build personal character and life skills. The GOLD Team Program creates a solid, high-quality leadership team, which serve as exemplars to the student body. Benefits of the program include:
- Personal development through character enrichment
- Effective communication to individuals and groups
- Leadership skills essential for getting groups to work together
- Motivation skills and how to maintain it in a group setting
- How to teach our curriculum effectively
- Mentoring other students to help them stay focused on their goals
The GOLD TEAM is (usually) made up of Advanced Training Club or Black Belt Club members who show excellent interpersonal skills and a super-winning attitude. Having Olympic-level technique is not required. Acceptance onto the GOLD team is based mainly upon great attitude, world-class effort, and consistent attendance.
This program allows a student interested in taking a leadership role to be mentored under a Certified Master Instructor. GOLD Team members are eligible for jobs as Junior Assistant Instructor (at lower rank classes) and attend staff workouts and meetings.
GOLD Team is the first step in the journey to becoming a Kempo or Martial Arts Instructor. A candidate student must show a passion for the art of Kempo and excel at displaying all the moral tenets Karazenpo go Shinjutsu / Hawaiian Shaolin Kempo. The candidate should also demonstrate a desire to share his or her knowledge with others and maintain a goal of Black Belt Excellence.
For our younger members (Keiki Kempo), we require a report card that reflects good behavior and good grades along with permission from their parents. To be considered for GOLD, a student would inform the Senior Instructor of their interest.
GOLD team members are considered leaders of our school and are trained to assist in classes along with our professional instructors. It makes a great place to get your start if you are interested in eventually teaching martial arts as a job or career.
- You must be at least 5 minutes early for the class or classes you are mentoring.
- If you are unable to make class, you must call the school and call someone on the list to fill in for you.
- Always be in a good mood, don’t come in if you are less than 100% (positive attitude, good health, fully rested). Anything less and you are a distraction to the students and parents.
- Someone always needs help. Seek them out and offer your assistance.
- You must wear a clean school shirt underneath your clean kempo uniform.
- If you miss 3 times without calling the school or calling someone to fill in for you –you are off the team.
“Golden Leopard Kempo’s Instructors share a common goal. It is having the passion, enthusiasm, and pride to be able to teach and help others become successful. Having the ability to motivate and encourage students to challenge themselves mentally, spiritually, and physically, to set goals and to achieve them.” — Master Bagnas
All of Golden Leopard Kempo’s Instructors and GOLD Leadership Team are personally taught and mentored by Master Bagnas in GLKO’s extensive GOLD Instructor Training Program (Guidance on Leadership Development).
Regular attendance at weekly and monthly Instructor Training Sessions with Master Bagnas is mandatory. Golden Leopard Kempo expects and seeks the high standards from its students. GLKO’s GOLD Team is expected to attend professional development courses, workshops and seminars throughout the year. Finally, First Aid, CPR, and/or baby-sitting certifications are a mandatory requirement each year to ensure student and community safety. Remember that we are warriors in and outside the Dojo.